Accueil
Plan de la ville Segré Infos Habiter à Segré
Imprimer
A-  A+
> Anglais > Welcome to Segré
AGENDA

:: Atelier de création d’un carnet de rêves

.. Samedi 25 novembre

.. Lieu : Médiathèque

.. Adresse :Espace Saint Exupéry

9h à 12h ou de 14h à 17h Avec Pasquale Stervinou gratuit sur inscription

(En savoir plus)


:: Don du sang

.. Lundi 27 novembre 16:00-19:30

.. Lieu : Salle du mille club

(En savoir plus)


:: Animation hivernale sur les marchés

.. Samedi 25 novembre

1200 euros à gagner en bons d’achat. Tirage au sort le 29 novembre 2017 en fin de marché.

(En savoir plus)


Welcome to Segré


The town of Segré and its environs are situated in the Land of Anjou on the borders of Britany.


This countryside of gentle, green, rolling hills over a bedrock of slate, is dissected by the rivers Argos, Oudon and Verzée.

These three beautiful waterways converge near Segré itself.

Segré, is a Sous-Préfecture and was the capital of the local slate and iron mining region.

Today, it has much to offer the visitor : a picturesque situation, nestling in the valley of the river oudon, narrow, cobbled streets of houses and shops dotted along the valley and climbing precipitously towards the rocky spur, apeaceful river traversed by an ancient stone bridge, and a cascade of floral gardens tumbling down the cliff.

See the pedestrian circuit in the town

PDF - 1.3 Mo
Pedestrian circuit leaflet

Important dates in the history of Segré

The name "Segré" is believed to come from the latin “Secretum” which means “isolated”. Segré has been inhabited from earliest. Tribes naturally settled in this fertile land if rivers and hills.

In the Xth Century, the Count of Anjou, Foulques le Roux built the first castle on the schist spur that towers above the two rivers. At that period it was only a wooden tower erected on a mound of earth. A feudal mound that can still be seen today.

During the XIth Century, stone progressively replaced wood. In Segré, a new castle, surrounded by a wall was constructed under Foulques le Noir. In 1066 It was captured by the troops of Conan II, Count of Britany.

In 1191, Richard the Lionheard, Count of Anjou and King of England confiscated the lands of Segré from Geoffroy de la Guerche in order to extend the domain of his wife, Bérangere de Navarre.

1490 saw the town once again destroyed by gangs of plunderers who devastated the Upper Anjou.

In 1589, the Count of Rochepot, Governor of Anjou, took Segré– which at that time belonged to the members of the league - in the name of Henry III, , took Segré up to then belonging to the members of the League. After ransacking the city, he had the castle, the wall and all the fortified country houses dismantled.

1635 saw the lands of Segré set up as a Baronetcy for one of Richelieu’s favourites, Guillaume II de Bautru, Lord of Louvaines.

1795, 2,000 Chouans took over the city, which was being defended by 200 republican soldiers. After 4 hours of fighting, the “Blues” surrendered. The city was sacked and 33 republican soldiers had their throats cut.

During the XIXth Century and the early part of the XXth century Segré grew considerably from 700 inhabitants in 1841 to 2894 in 1878, to 3,551 in 1891 and to 4,874 in 1939. This increase was due, amongst other things, to the absorption of the parish of St Aubin du Pavoil, the development of the railway network, and industrial expansion, i.e the iron mines and slate quarries.

On August 5th and 6th 1944, confronted to the American breakthrough, the Germans burnt the town and took 60 people hostage. Their lives were only spared by the intervention of the Sous-Préfet and the Archbishop.

Today, Segré has 7,155 inhabitants. With the demise of the iron and slate industry, Segré had to face important changes. It has therefore, developed a diversified industrial base with services that meet the local administration, economic, educational, sanitary and social needs of the community. There is a florishing trading sector, and quality sports and culture facilities in the town.

Important buildings

Town Hall

The town Hall dominates the Aristide Briand Square, and was built in a neo-Louis XIII style. It was inaugurated on July 27th 1904 after four years of work and It shares the characteristics of many XIXth Century town halls.

La Madeleine

This neo-Byzantine church, built in 1838, has undergone numerous modifications. The 22 metre long choir supporting a 30 metre high dome was designed by the architect Delletre, who also built a second church tower. The stained glass windows, which are listed, are the work of Clamens, and they date back to the XIXth Century ; the three stained glass windows of the choir relate to the three main moments in St Magdalen’s life ; the other three represent the Patron Saints of some private donors and of St Francis’Third Order. The organ, bearing the signature of Cavaillé-Coll, dates back to 1881. From the esplanade of the church garden, you get a wonderful panorama of the town of Segré.

The Old Bridge

From the oldest bridge in Segré, a XVIth Century arched bridge, there is a charming view of the riverside Oudon park.




EVENEMENT

Abonnement RSS